FlexNet Manager Suite integration with the Remedy, Discovery and Atrium Configuration Management Suite has been certified by BMC via its Technology Alliance Program (TAP). This integration tightly couples two industry leading technology platforms to deliver a stronger value proposition to joint customers.
Flexera Software FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises is integrated with BMC’s IT Service Management (ITSM) solutions, including Discovery, Remedy and Atrium. This integration enhances both Software License Optimization and ITSM processes to drive increased business value. The combination of BMC’s ITSM solutions and FlexNet Manager® Suite provides a complete IT Service Catalog, Configuration Management System, Software Asset Management and License Optimization solution. It enables customers to improve operational efficiency and IT service delivery, increase end-user satisfaction, minimize license compliance risk and reduce software costs.
Why are both solutions needed?
ITSM and Software License Optimzation solutions serve unique but complimentary business needs. ITSM solutions are being used to deliver services throughout the enterprise, across an increasingly complex and continually changing IT infrastructure, while meeting service level agreements. The focus is on IT operations and involves processes for configuration, request, incident, problem, capacity and demand management, among others. Software License Optimization solutions are focused on IT financial management and address concerns related to software license compliance and controlling ongoing software costs.
Software license agreements and license models are highly complex. It’s difficult for customers to control costs and derive maximum business value from software while trying to maintain compliance with licensing terms. Enterprises are frequently out of license compliance for some vendors and applications, and over-subscribed for others. BMC’s ITSM products provide data that can be used for software asset management (SAM) and license optimization, but do not determine license compliance or an optimized license position. Achieving a high level of Software License Optimization maturity requires:
- Extensive discovery and inventory capabilities across multiple platforms and virtual environments for both legacy and modern applications
- Automated and accurate application recognition and data normalization
- Automated purchase order processing utilizing a Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) library
- Support for a wide range of complex license models
- License reconciliation considering purchase orders, contracts, installation and usage data
- License optimization taking into account software product use rights and/or detailed usage analysis
- Predictive ‘What-If’ Analysis to understand the impact of IT environment changes on software licensing, including the financial effects of the change
A Software License Optimization solution, such as FlexNet Manager Suite, provides all of the above capabilities, which allows organizations to:
- Maintain continuous license compliance to reduce software audit risk and avoid unbudgeted expenses
- Consolidate vendors and applications
- Optimize license consumption to reduce ongoing software spend
- More effectively negotiate software contracts
- Proactively manage software licenses throughout the product lifecycle
ITSM and Software License Optimization solutions have evolved somewhat independently. However, the business processes they automate and manage are closely related and IT organizations are beginning to recognize the value of integrating the tools used for ITSM and Software License Optimization.
FlexNet Manager Suite and BMC Product Integration
Discovery: FlexNet Manager Suite has out-of-the-box integration with BMC Discovery to collect hardware and software inventory data. Flexera Software extends the inventory capabilities of Discovery by providing “patterns” that allow Discovery to collect additional data required for identification, management and optimization of applications that use complex license models, such as IBM WebSphere (PVU). These patterns target software file and package evidence, hardware and user properties not currently collected by Discovery. FlexNet Manager Suite uses this enhanced inventory data to help generate the list of installed software titles per device and calculate accurate license positions.
Atrium CMDB/Remedy: FlexNet Manager Suite also integrates out-ofthe-box with the BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (CMDB). As shown in the diagram below, FlexNet Manager Suite provides the normalized list of software titles per device (desktop, laptop, and server) to the CMDB. It receives hardware asset properties including ownership and role information from the CMDB.
Benefits of Integration
The hardware asset data from the Atrium CMDB enhances Software License Optimization processes in FlexNet Manager Suite. For example:
- Ownership: This allows FlexNet Manager Suite to report license consumption and compliance by enterprise groups (cost centers, business units, etc.)
- Role (production, test, development, backup/failover, etc.): Entitlements for a server application might vary depending on that server’s role. For example, a cold backup server may not require a separate license from the primary production server. This data enables FlexNet Manager Suite to apply the appropriate product use rights to reduce server license consumption.
The normalized list of software titles provided to BMC Atrium CMDB by FlexNet Manager Suite enhances ITSM processes. For example:
- Incident & Performance Management: Speed mean time to repair by knowing what software is installed on that machine—helpful, for example, when there is a performance problem with the system.
- Change Management: A new version of SQL Server is released; this data makes it easy to see which machines should be involved in the change.
By enabling these two solutions to interoperate and share data, enterprises can enhance both ITSM and Software License Optimization processes. With this combination, an enterprise can drive down costs even further, lower the risk of license non-compliance and ensure that business users have the services and service quality they need to continue to achieve business success.
Joint Customer Success Stories
Flexera Software and BMC have numerous joint customers that are realizing the benefits of this integration. Here are two examples:
- Major Financial Services Company: This top 20 bank manages financial assets of more than a trillion dollars and has more than 500,000 hardware assets. The company expects to realize savings over a 5 year period on two major software contract renewals that will provide a return that is more than 15 times their investment in Flexera Software’s Software License Optimization solution (1400% ROI). Integration with BMC ITSM solutions, including Discovery and Atrium CMDB, was a critical requirement for this customer.
- Multinational Insurance Company: IBM hired a third party auditor to assess the customer’s IBM license position. The company uses BMC Discovery as the primary discovery mechanism for its IBM assets. With the integration to Discovery, they are able to push that data to FlexNet Manager Suite where it is used to calculate the company’s IBM full and sub-capacity license position. The auditor validated the accuracy of the results and presented them back to IBM. The combined solutions delivered, in the view of the auditor, a license position that holds up under software audit scrutiny
About Flexera Software
Flexera Software is the leading provider of strategic solutions for Application Usage Management; solutions delivering continuous license compliance, optimized usage and maximized value to application producers and enterprises. Flexera Software is trusted by more than 80,000 customers that depend on our comprehensive solutions - from installation and licensing, entitlement and compliance management to application readiness and Software License Optimization - to strategically manage application usage and achieve breakthrough results realized only through the systems-level approach we provide. For more information, please go to: www.flexerasoftware.com