Flexera 2021 State of ITAM Report Identifies Plans for Increased Focus on Savings Due to COVID
Top 2021 initiative is optimizing software spend, but organizations must mature software asset management processes to realize more savings
Itasca, IL - October 6, 2020 Flexera, the company that helps organizations maximize business value from their technology investments, today released the findings from its Flexera 2021 State of ITAM Report. The first of its kind from Flexera, the report investigates how the maturity of IT and software asset management teams impacts the value they deliver to their organizations. It also provides a view of the future of ITAM and SAM teams as they evolve to serve the needs of the digital enterprise.
The full survey results are available in the Flexera 2021 State of ITAM Report, which can be downloaded at https://info.flexera.com/SLO-REPORT-State-of-ITAM.
The report explores the thinking of 461 global professionals who manage and participate in ITAM and SAM processes in medium and large organizations of at least 1,000 employees. The report enables IT leaders to benchmark their ITAM practices and results against those of other organizations.
“Every company is feeling the challenges of this unique economic environment. I’m pleased to be able to share insights via our Flexera 2021 State of ITAM Report that could better align asset management practices and lead to cost savings,” said Jim Ryan, President and CEO of Flexera. “Our report uncovers the top asset management challenges, including managing the impact of SaaS, cloud, and containers–which becomes even more important in the post-COVID landscape. It reinforces that those with the most mature SAM practices can achieve the highest savings. With this report, organizations can benchmark where they are today and plot a course to maximize the value they deliver.”
A few key highlights from the Flexera 2021 State of ITAM Report:
ITAM plays a critical role in the enterprise:
- 25 percent of ITAM teams report directly to the CIO or CTO; 24 percent report to infrastructure management
- ITAM teams reporting to C-level have the strongest interactions across IT
- SAM teams must increase their focus on cloud
- Few SAM teams track software in the cloud (46 percent), SaaS (35 percent) or software in containers (34 percent)
- Most SAM teams expect to increase their focus on public cloud (74 percent) and SaaS (70 percent) over the next three years
4 of 5 top 2021 SAM initiatives are focused on savings:
- The top initiative is to optimize and save on software spend (69 percent)
- Other top initiatives are also focused on realizing savings by re-harvesting licenses and managing SaaS and cloud spend
- 52 percent of SAM teams expected to increase focus on savings for 2021 due to COVID-19, and 51 percent plan to optimize software licenses to avoid additional costs
The report results are made available under an Open Source Creative Commons License. The data may be freely shared with the required attribution.
For more information on the Flexera 2021 State of the ITAM Report:
Flexera delivers SaaS-based IT management solutions that enable enterprises to accelerate digital transformation and multiply the value of their technology investments. We help organizations inform their IT with definitive visibility into complex hybrid IT ecosystems, providing unparalleled IT insights that allow them to seize technology opportunities. And we help them transform their IT with tools that deliver actionable intelligence across an ever-increasing range of dimensions to effectively manage, govern and optimize their hybrid IT estate.
More than 50,000 customers subscribe to our technology value optimization solutions, delivered by 1,300+ passionate team members worldwide. To learn more, visit flexera.com