Flexera Software’s FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises is integrated with ServiceNow IT Service Management (ITSM) and Service Automation solutions. This integration enhances both Software License Optimization and ITSM processes to drive increased business value. The combination of ServiceNow ITSM solutions and FlexNet Manager® Suite provides a complete IT Service Catalog, Configuration Management System, Software Asset Management and License Optimization solution. It enables customers to improve operational efficiency and IT service delivery, increase end-user satisfaction, minimize license compliance risk and reduce software costs.
Why are both solutions needed?
ITSM and Software License Optimization solutions serve unique but complimentary business needs. ITSM solutions are being used to deliver services throughout the enterprise, across an increasingly complex and continually changing IT infrastructure, while meeting service level agreements. The focus is on IT operations and involves processes for configuration, request, incident, problem, capacity and demand management, among others. Software License Optimization solutions are focused on IT financial management and address concerns related to software license compliance and controlling ongoing software costs.
Software license agreements and license models are highly complex. It’s difficult for customers to control costs and derive maximum business value from software while trying to maintain compliance with licensing terms. Enterprises are frequently out of license compliance for some vendors and applications, and over-subscribed for others. ServiceNow’s ITSM products provide data that can be used for software asset management (SAM) and license optimization, but do not determine an optimized license position. Achieving a high level of Software License Optimization maturity requires:
- Extensive discovery and inventory capabilities across multiple platforms and virtual environments for both legacy and modern applications
- Automated and accurate application recognition and data normalization
- Automated purchase order processing utilizing a Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) library
- Support for a wide range of complex license models
- License reconciliation considering purchase orders, contracts, installation and usage data
- License optimization taking into account software product use rights and/or detailed usage analysis
- Predictive ‘What-If’ Analysis to understand the impact of IT environment changes on software licensing, including the financial effects of the change
A Software License Optimization solution, such as FlexNet Manager Suite, provides all of the above capabilities, which allows organizations to:
- Maintain continuous license compliance to reduce software audit risk and avoid unbudgeted expenses
- Consolidate vendors and applications
- Optimize license consumption to reduce ongoing software spend
- More effectively negotiate software contracts
- Proactively manage software licenses throughout the product lifecycle
ITSM and Software License Optimization solutions have evolved somewhat independently. However, the business processes they automate and manage are closely related and IT organizations are beginning to recognize the value of integrating the tools used for ITSM and Software License Optimization.
FlexNet Manager Suite and ServiceNow Integration
FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises has a certified integration with ServiceNow. Certification denotes that the integrations have passed a set of interoperability, security and performance test criteria as defined and witnessed by ServiceNow.
FlexNet Manager Suite provides out-of-the-box integration with ServiceNow Asset Management and the ServiceNow Configuration Management Database (CMDB), as shown in the diagram below, to enhance ITSM and software asset management processes. FlexNet Manager Suite provides the normalized list of software titles per device (desktop, laptop, and server) to the CMDB. It receives hardware asset properties, including ownership, role, and status information from the CMDB.
Flexera Software App Portal, our enterprise app store, also integrates with ServiceNow to streamline the application request, approval and delivery process. This can dramatically reduce helpdesk tickets and associated costs. App Portal is integrated with FlexNet Manager Suite to deliver proactive license compliance and automated license reclamation.
FlexNet Manager Suite has “cloud-to-cloud” Web user interface integration with ServiceNow to provide a “single pane of glass” for users to perform both ITSM and software asset management functions.
Benefits of Integration
The hardware asset data from the ServiceNow CMDB enhances Software License Optimization processes in FlexNet Manager Suite. For example:
- Ownership: This allows FlexNet Manager Suite to report license consumption and compliance by enterprise groups (cost centers, business units, etc.)
- Role (production, test, development, backup/failover, etc.): Entitlements for a server application might vary depending on that server’s role. For example, a cold backup server may not require a separate license from the primary production server. This data enables FlexNet Manager Suite to apply the appropriate product use rights to reduce server license consumption.
The normalized list of software titles provided to the ServiceNow CMDB by FlexNet Manager Suite enhances ITSM processes. For example:
- Incident & Performance Management: Speed mean time to repair (MTTR) by knowing what software is installed on that machine— helpful, for example, when there is a performance problem with the system caused by the interaction of different applications.
- Change Management: A new version of SQL Server is released; this data makes it easy to see which machines should be involved in the change.
Joint Customer Success Stories
Flexera Software and ServiceNow have successfully integrated their solutions at a number of companies, including a major oil and gas company and a large U.S. utility company.
At the oil and gas company, for example, hardware asset data is imported nightly into FlexNet Manager Platform from the ServiceNow CMDB. Software inventory data from System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) is imported and processed by FlexNet Manager Platform’s Application Recognition Library to determine what software titles, versions and editions are installed on each computer.
IT Asset Managers leverage this information to know what is loaded on machines that need to be re-imaged. For software assets, FlexNet Manager Suite allows this company to automatically reconcile its license purchases with installed applications and optimize its license position through the application of use rights built into its Product Use Rights Library. The result is continuous license compliance and ongoing costs savings on software.
About Flexera Software
Flexera Software helps application producers and enterprises increase application usage and the value they derive from their software. Our next-generation software licensing, compliance and installation solutions are essential to ensure continuous licensing compliance, optimized software investments and to future-proof businesses against the risks and costs of constantly changing technology. Over 80,000 customers turn to Flexera Software as a trusted and neutral source for the knowledge and expertise we have gained as the marketplace leader for over 25 years and for the automation and intelligence designed into our products. For more information, please go to: www.flexerasoftware.com