Extending the Functionality of AdminStudio, App Portal and FlexNet Manager Suite through Integration
AdminStudio, App Portal and FlexNet Manager Platform (the foundation of FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises) work together to unify software request, application packaging, deployment and license management processes to help enterprises create a well-stocked and well-managed enterprise app store. Each of these best-of-breed products independently delivers industry-leading functionality:
- AdminStudio Suite – A single solution for reliable MSI packaging, application compatibility and application and desktop virtualization as well as mobile app management. It enables you to keep your applications in a state of readiness for reliable deployment into a wide variety of operating environments. It integrates with today’s leading enterprise deployment systems to ensure fast and reliable deployment.
- App Portal – A self-service enterprise app store that permits employees to request access to the applications and other items they need from an easy-to-understand catalog. It automates fulfillment workflow end to end, so requests are processed quickly, efficiently, consistently and in compliance with license requirements and internal policies.
- FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises – A next-generation hardware and software asset management, contract management and Software License Optimization solution. It maintains asset data that provides insight into license availability and software usage trends, allowing you to optimize licensing and better forecast future software needs.
Integration occurs through the Flexera Software Service Gateway, a fast, lightweight Enterprise Service Bus implementation. The products communicate through the gateway, enabling interoperation and data sharing that results in significantly broader functionality. As a result of the integration, you can implement and automate workflows that transcend the multiple functional areas of Application Readiness, application access and Software License Optimization. Benefits include:
- Rapid availability of apps. AdminStudio can automatically trigger the addition of applications to the App Portal catalog, eliminating delays in application delivery by obviating the need for manual creation of app store catalog entries.
- Continuing license compliance. App Portal determines license availability from FlexNet Manager Platform immediately upon request and triggers FlexNet Manager Platform to reserve a license for the requested application. This eliminates the risk of deploying unlicensed software.
- Elimination of license overbuying. App Portal can query FlexNet Manager Platform for usage data and automatically reclaim licenses for software that is installed but not being used. This ensures that existing licenses are fully utilized before additional ones are purchased.
A Step-by-step Look at How End-to-end Process Automation Works
- An application packager imports an application into AdminStudio. AdminStudio automatically accesses the imported application’s unique identity (Flexera ID) from the application recognition library in FlexNet Manager Platform. The Flexera ID links the imported application with its associated data in the Application Recognition Library.
- a. The packager creates the deployment package and publishes the application to the deployment system.
b. AdminStudio triggers the addition of the application to the App Portal catalog and delivers the application’s associated metadata to App Portal.
- The End User requests an application from App Portal.
- When a user requests an application, App Portal automatically references the asset data in FlexNet Manager Platform to see if a license is available for that application. If so, it requests FlexNet Manager Platform to reserve a license. (If a license is not available, the automated workflow could be extended to generate a request to the purchasing department to procure additional licenses for the application.)
- App Portal then determines whether approval is necessary for that application. If so, it routes the request to the appropriate approvers according to pre-specified approval rules.
- When all necessary approvals have been gathered, App Portal triggers the deployment system to deploy the application to the requesting user’s device.
This high level of automation frees the IT staff from manual and repetitive tasks, increasing staff productivity and eliminating a major source of delay in getting applications to users. What’s more, automation enforces the use of best-practice processes, minimizing the risk such as noncompliance with license contract terms.