Optimize VMware Licensing Across Servers to Reduce Cost and Risk
FlexNet Manager for VMware is a scalable VMware license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. This VMware license optimization product automates and optimizes entitlement based software license management to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for VMware server software, while maintaining license compliance.
FlexNet Manager for VMware provides next generation software asset management functionality including VMware license optimization through the application of vendor-specific license entitlements known as product use rights. The included VMware Product Use Rights Library enables FlexNet Manager for VMware to determine an accurate license position and minimize license consumption to reduce ongoing software costs and provide the fastest return on investment. FlexNet Manager for VMware allows organizations to achieve the highest level of Software License Optimization maturity—Level 4, for VMware software asset management processes. FlexNet Manager for VMware is part of the FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises used by thousands of enterprises to gain control of and optimize spend across their software estate.
Leverages FlexNet Manager Platform to Provide Visibilty and Control
- Provides scalable hardware and software asset management (HAM and SAM) across more than 16,752 publishers and 229,623 applications, providing insight into installed software and application usage
- Delivers purchased versus installed license reconciliation
- Comprehensive reporting capabilities allow users to identify and evaluate areas of license compliance concern and make informed decisions that reduce license and maintenance costs
- Out-of-the-box connectivity to Microsoft SCCM, Altiris, BMC ADDM, HP DDMI, IBM Tivoli End Point Manager, as well as adapters for many other third party inventory and configuration management tools
- Native, multi-platform discovery and inventory support (Windows, Linux, UNIX, MAC OS) for both physical and virtual environments
- Provides connectivity to HR, Active Directory, procurement, ERP and other systems for user, computer, purchasing and organizational data
Software License Optimization for VMware Reduces On-going Software Costs
- Enables true enterprise-wide license optimization for VMware products using the VMware Product Use Rights Library to automatically apply license entitlements. Use rights can dramatically affect the number of licenses consumed by an organization, and therefore must be taken into account to minimize costs and ensure software license compliance.
- Contains the product use rights for entitlements acquired through VMware purchase agreements, including Volume Purchasing Program (VPP), Enterprise Purchasing Program (EPP) and the VMware Support and Subscription (SnS) maintenance program. These rights include: upgrade, downgrade, and “non-production” use rights. (See the Features page for more details).
- Determines an accurate license position to reduce VMware software audit risk, and minimize license consumption.
- FlexNet Manager for VMware provides enhanced VMware discovery and inventory capabilities, on top of the extensive capabilities provided by the Platform. This includes discovery and inventory of the vSphere and vCenter datacenter server products and associated license keys. It provides visibility into license key assignments across servers and is able to detect if license keys are overused (non-compliant use) or under used (over bought).
- FlexNet Manager for VMware supports many license models used by VMware for both desktop and server based products. For instance on the server side, it supports the device model used by the vCenter, and the processor model used by vSphere.
- VMware EPP and VPP purchase agreements require licenses to be used for devices in the country where the license was purchased (invoiced). (In the European Union the license may be used in any of the member countries). FlexNet Manager for VMware allows customers to scope the license in such way that only devices from a specific location or set of locations can consume it.
Proactively Manage Your Software Estate Using ‘What If' Analysis
- Provides industry-first ‘What If’ Analysis capabilities that allow organizations to see the impact of hardware and software changes on their license position, before the changes are actually made
- Supports VMware processor based license models
- Actions such as modifying hardware properties, moving virtual machines across hosts or installation of a new software title can be simulated, providing an estimated license position and financial impact that reflects these changes.
FlexNet Manager for VMware allows organizations to more effectively "use what they have and only buy what they need" when it comes to VMware licenses and software.
VMware server virtualization technology enables organizations to more efficiently utilize their hardware assets, reducing hardware costs, power consumption and datacenter space. At the same time, virtualization adds considerable complexity to the software license management problem for the software that runs in the virtual environment. FlexNet Manager Suite Software License Optimization solutions, such as FlexNet Manager for IBM and FlexNet Manager for Oracle enable enterprises to gain control of the software running in virtual environments, to minimize software audit risk and reduce ongoing spend. Learn more about the other products in the FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises.
Product Use Rights Library
FlexNet Manager for VMware includes a Product Use Rights Library for VMware that enables it to determine an accurate and optimized license position. VMware Product Use Rights include:
- Upgrade— for some products, VMware allows “functionality upgrades,” which means that the customer can upgrade from a product with “lesser” functionality to a product with more functionality. (A Support and Subscription benefit).
- Downgrade—the right to use an older version of the software than the version purchased
- Non-production use—in some cases, VMware license agreements allow the installation of more than one copy of an application for non-production use. For example, 2 additional installs of vCenter Application Discovery Manager are allowed for Development use. In this case, FlexNet Manager Platform provides an Exemption feature that can be used to flag these installations so they are not counted in the VMware license consumption calculation.
When creating new licenses from purchase order data, utilizing software product SKUs if available, the product use rights are applied automatically, which minimizes the amount of effort required to model entitlements in FlexNet Manager for VMware.
Enhanced VMware Discovery and Inventory
FlexNet Manager for VMware includes enhanced discovery and inventory capabilities for the vSphere and vCenter datacenter server products. Each installation is introspected and licensing data such as the license key, the license metric, and assigned capacity for that server is captured. FlexNet Manager for VMware provides visibility into license key assignments across servers. It is able to detect if license keys are overused, which could cause an organization to be out of license compliance and subject to a VMware software audit. It is also able to compare actual server capacity against assigned capacity to find underused license keys that may uncover over purchasing of VMware products.
‘What If’ Analysis
Simulation capability is provided for VMware server based licenses allowing customers to perform What If analysis to understand the licensing implications of a change to their IT environment. This ‘What If’ Analysis feature enables the calculation of a new VMware license position considering:
- Hardware change
- Shared processor pool settings changes or the addition or removal of shared processor pools
- Addition or removal of software installations
‘What If’ Analysis provides information on the financial impact of the change from a software licensing perspective.