Optimize Symantec Licensing to Reduce Cost and Risk
FlexNet Manager for Symantec is a scalable Symantec license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. This product automates entitlement based Symantec software license management to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for Symantec server software, while maintaining license compliance.
FlexNet Manager for Symantec provides next generation software asset management functionality including Symantec license optimization through the application of vendor-specific license entitlements known as product use rights. The included Symantec Product Use Rights Library enables FlexNet Manager for Symantec to determine an accurate license position and minimize license consumption to provide the fastest return on investment. FlexNet Manager for Symantec is part of the FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises used by hundreds of enterprises to gain control of and optimize spend across their software estate.
Leverages FlexNet Manager Platform to Provide Visibility and Control
- Provides scalable hardware and software asset management across more than 16,000 publishers and 223,476 applications, providing insight into installed software and application usage
- Delivers purchased versus installed license reconciliation
- Comprehensive reporting capabilities allow users to identify and evaluate areas of license compliance concern and make informed decisions that reduce software license and maintenance costs
- Out-of-the-box connectivity to Microsoft SCCM, as well as connectors for other third party inventory and configuration management tools
- Provides connectivity to HR, Active Directory, procurement, ERP and other systems for user, computer, purchasing and organizational data
Software License Optimization for Symantec Reduces On-going Software Costs
- Enables true enterprise-wide license optimization for Symantec products using the Symantec Product Use Rights Library to automatically appliy license entitlements. Use rights can dramatically affect the number of licenses consumed by an organization, and therefore must be taken into account to minimize costs and ensure software license compliance
- Determines an accurate license position and minimizes license consumption
- Contains the license entitlements provided by Symantec purchase agreements, such as the Enterprise Options agreement for large enterprises. These Symantec licensing rights include: upgrade, downgrade, and virtual environment use rights
Proactively Manage Your Software Estate Using ‘What If' Analysis
- Provides industry-first ‘What If’ Analysis capabilities that allow organizations to see the impact of hardware and software changes on their license position, before the changes are actually made
- Supports Symantec processor based license models
- Actions such as modifying hardware properties, moving virtual machines across hosts or installation of a new software title can be simulated, providing an estimated license position and financial impact that reflects these changes.
FlexNet Manager for Symantec allows organizations to more effectively "use what they have and buy only what they need" when it comes to Symantec licenses and software Learn more about the other products in the FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises.
Product Use Rights Library
FlexNet Manager for Symantec includes a Product Use Rights Library for Symantec that enables it to determine an accurate license position and optimize license consumption. Product Use Rights vary depending on the type of software license agreement used to buy the software (e.g. Cumulative License Program) and even depend on the specific software product. When creating new licenses from purchase order SKU data, the product use rights are applied automatically, which minimizes the amount of effort required to model entitlements in FlexNet Manager for Symantec. These rights include:
- Upgrade—the right to use the latest version of the software as soon as it becomes available. (A Software Assurance benefit).
- Downgrade—the right to use an older version of the software than the version purchased.
- Right of second use (aka portable use)—the right to use the software on both a desktop and a laptop with the same owner and only consume one license.
- Multiple versions—the right to have multiple versions of the same application installed on one device and only consume one license.
- Virtual environment use rights—the rights associated with running the software on a virtual machine, virtual desktop or as a virtualized application.
‘What If’ Analysis
Simulation capability is provided for Symantec server based licenses allowing customers to perform What If analysis to understand the licensing implications of a change to their IT environment. What If Analysis provides information on the financial impact of the change from a software licensing perspective and enables the calculation of a new Symantec license position considering:
- Hardware change
- Shared processor pool settings changes or the addition or removal of shared processor pools
- Virtual Machine (VM) property changes
- A change of physical host for virtual machines
- Addition or removal of software installations