IBM Product Use Rights Library
FlexNet Manager for IBM includes a Product Use Rights Library for IBM that enables it to determine an accurate license position and optimize license consumption. The rights in our IBM Licensing management solution include:
- Upgrade—the right to use the latest version of the software as soon as it becomes available.
- Downgrade—the right to use an older version of the software than the version purchased.
- Virtual environment use rights—the rights associated with running the software on a virtual machine, virtual desktop or as a virtualized application.
The IBM Product Use Rights Library contains license entitlement information for many IBM applications, including the following: Cognos, DB2, ILOG, Informix, InfoSphere, Lotus, Maximo, Rational, Tivoli, WebSphere, etc.
‘What If’ Analysis
Simulation capability has been added for IBM server based licenses such as Processor Value Unit (PVU) licenses, allowing customers to perform ‘What If’ analysis to understand the licensing implications of a change to their IT environment. This ‘What If’ Analysis feature enables the calculation of a new IBM license position considering:
- Hardware changes
- Shared processor pool settings changes or the addition or removal of shared processor pools
- Virtual Machine (VM) property changes
- A change of physical host for virtual machines
- Addition or removal of software installations
‘What If’ Analysis provides information on the financial impact of the change from a software licensing perspective.
IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT) Integration
FlexNet Manager for IBM is integrated with the IBM ILMT to allow importing of hardware and software inventory data as well as processor usage data, including information on processor allocations for virtual environments where sub-capacity licensing is in effect. Sub-capacity licensing allows customers to only license the processors allocated to the virtual machines or hardware partitions that run that application, rather than the full capacity of the physical server. This can reduce licensing costs. The ILMT data import into FlexNet Manager Platform consolidates all licensing information into a single repository. From there, the IBM licensing management solution can be correlated with purchase orders and contracts enabling a purchased versus installed license reconciliation using FlexNet Manager for IBM.
Independent PVU Sub-capacity Calculation
FlexNet Manager for IBM is able to calculate PVU license consumption in both full-capacity and sub-capacity (i.e. virtual) environments. This feature provides a calculation that is independent of the IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT), but may be used in conjunction with ILMT data. A report is provided comparing side-by-side calculation results between the FlexNet Manager for IBM and ILMT. In addition, FlexNet Manager for IBM data used to determine a license position for IBM software is accepted by IBM for sub-capacity reporting as an alternative to ILMT, TADd and IEM SUA.
IBM License Models Supported
A Processor Value Unit (PVU) license type is provided to manage PVU licenses in both full and sub-capacity environments. The IBM PVU points table is stored in the FlexNet Manager for IBM Product Use Rights Library so that the required number of PVU licenses can be calculated based on the hardware inventory data. (PVUs are a function of processor type, server model, cores per socket, etc.).
FlexNet Manager for IBM also supports User Value Unit (UVU) and Resource Value Unit (RVU) license models to manage IBM applications using these metrics. The Product Use Rights Library (PURL) delivers the point tables associated with these metrics for each application.
In addition, FlexNet Manager for IBM supports these other IBM license models: Authorized User, Concurrent User and Floating User. IBM license management is simplified as the right license models and associated metrics are available in the product.
Processor Value Unit (PVU) Calculation in VMware Server Cluster Environments
FlexNet Manager for IBM is able to calculate PVU license consumption in VMware server cluster environments. As the license consumption can fluctuate depending on the location of virtual machines on physical hosts, the calculation identifies a maximum consumption (the “high water mark”) that will ensure customers are always compliant with their IBM license agreements.
License Change Review
This feature analyzes differences between Flexera Software content libraries—particularly the Product Use Rights Library, and existing software licenses. Recommendations such as applying product use rights templates and adding applications to the license record are made so that the license repository can be kept up to date.
- Changes to software vendors’ product use rights are incorporated in the library via monthly updates and can be automatically applied to existing licenses
- An opt out option is available for these changes if there are specific (non-standard) product use rights in contracts with a publisher
- Automatically benefit from improvements in the Flexera Software libraries, e.g. new links between Stock Keeping Units (SKUs) and applications in the Application Recognition Library, new SKUs with associated product use rights, etc., that may impact existing licenses
License Change Review ensures that your license compliance position is always accurate and optimized.