Now Available: RightScale 2018 State of the Cloud Report
In January we conducted our seventh annual State of the Cloud Survey of the latest cloud computing trends, with a focus on infrastructure-as-a-service and platform-as-a-service. To get the latest data and analysis on current cloud trends to inform your multi-cloud strategy for 2018, download the full report.
RightScale product updates for February include AWS Reserved Instances utilization support in RightScale Optima, Cloud Workflow integration with paging and ticketing systems and support for the F1 FPGA instance type in AWS in RightScale CMP, plus a new plugin for Azure Service Diagnostic Settings.
- Billing Centers enhancements:
- Ignore recommendations: You can now choose to ignore a cost-saving recommendation that does not apply to you by simply clicking Ignore Recommendation on the Actions menu or from the Recommendations Detail page. You can restore an ignored recommendation and make it active the same way as well.
- Filter and sort recommendations by the generation date: To make it easier to manage and act on cost-savings recommendations, you can now filter and sort recommendations by the generation date. This gives you the ability to focus on a smaller subset of recommendations and create a prioritized action plan. You can see all recommendations or recommendations by month and you can sort your view by the generation date:
- AWS Reserved Instances updates:
- Enhanced support for all types of AWS Reserved Instances: A new Reserved Instances page provides accurate Reserved Instances utilization information across all types of AWS Reserved Instances. To fetch this data, you need to add this code to the RightScale IAM policy on your AWS parent account. Note: You must have ca_user role at the organization level in RightScale to access your AWS parent account.
- Reserved Instance Details tab deprecation: We will soon remove the Reserved Instance Details tab under Instance Analyzer. Please begin using the new Reserved Instances page (accessible via the left navigation menu) for the most accurate and comprehensive Reserved Instances data from AWS.
- Simplified left navigation menu: To help you navigate more quickly, we’ve removed the links underneath the Instance Analyzer for Overview, Full instance details, Reserved instance details, and Utilization report, which are now available on the Instance Analyzer page via tabs.
- Important notice for all Google Compute Engine users: If you are managing your Google Compute Engine cloud account with RightScale, please update your RightScale for Google Cloud registration to use a Google service account.
- New alerts for Cloud Workflow: Alerts can now trigger arbitrary Cloud Workflow code to run, allowing for orchestration of complex tasks and integration with external paging/ticketing systems.
- Action specification for resolved alerts: When an alert goes from active to inactive, it is considered resolved. For richer integration with incident tracking systems and to reduce operator overhead, you can now specify one action to take when an alert escalation is resolved: either send an email or run a Cloud Workflow,
- Support for F1 FPGA instance type in AWS
- Cloud Application Template (CAT) enhancements: We’ve added support for the encrypted field for volume resources in CAT.
- Cloud Application Template (CAT) and RightScale Cloud Workflow Language (RCL) updates: The cred() functions in both CAT and RCL now look for an exact match of the given credential name before falling back to partial match.
Plugins are open source assets that extend the management capabilities of the RightScale platform and are managed in GitHub by the RightScale Professional Services team. Check out our latest plugins:
- Azure Service Diagnostic Settings plugin
- Multiple enhancements to the AWS CloudFormation, ELB, and ALB plugins
- Enhancements to the Azure Networking, Storage, and MySQL plugins
- See the full changelog
- Cloud Computing Trends from the 2018 State of the Cloud Survey: Check out the RightScale Blog to see key takeaways from our annual survey of IaaS and PaaS users.
- Optimizing Cloud Costs Through Continuous Collaboration: Read our latest white paper to find out where you are likely wasting money and how to fix it.
- Mastering AWS and Azure Reserved Instances for Savings: Watch this on-demand webinar for advice on creating a reserved instance purchase plan, how to compare AWS vs. Azure pricing, and more.