Connect Your Cloud Bills in Optima for Better Cost Management
If you have not yet connected detailed bills from your cloud provider to RIghtScale, now is the time. Once you connect your detailed cloud bills to RightScale, you will gain access to many powerful new features in RightScale Optima. You will be able to allocate costs to billing centers, assign users to each billing center, create automated reports and alerts, and receive recommendations for cost savings that you can share with others in your organization. For assistance with connecting your cloud bills, see Getting Started with Optima or contact your account manager to schedule a hands-on session where we’ll walk you through the steps.
RightScale product updates for December include new features in RightScale Optima that deliver recommendations for cost savings, more details on your incurred costs, and actual costs vs. calculated costs. And we’ve added platform support for the newest AWS instance types: P3, C5, M5, and H1, along with new plugins for Google Container Engine and the Amazon MQ service. Check out the details on these latest enhancements and more.
- Cost savings recommendations in Billing Centers: RightScale continually analyzes your cloud accounts to identify areas where you can reduce wasted cloud spend. Go to your Billing Centers to see the latest recommendations for saving money and easily share them with others in your organization.
- More cloud cost details in Billing Centers: On the Billing Centers card view page, you can selectively show last month’s cost, the cost breakdown by cloud, and the cost breakdown by spend category.
- Actual costs vs. calculated costs: The Optima dashboard now provides a selector to display data sourced from cloud bills only so that you can see bill-based costs separately from other calculated costs provided by Optima.
We’ve added support for:
- Using service accounts in Google Compute Engine (GCE) to register projects with RightScale accounts: To learn more, check out the registration documentation. If you already have GCE projects registered, read about updating them to use service accounts.
- P3 and C5 instance types in AWS
- M5 and H1 instance types in AWS
- XML support to Cloud Application Template (CAT) plugins
- Methods to base64 encode and decode strings
- A rand function to Cloud Workflow that generates a random number within a specified range
- Methods in Cloud Workflow to HTML encode and decode strings
- Methods in Cloud Workflow to URI encode and decode strings
Plugins are open source assets that extend the management capabilities of the RightScale platform and are managed in GitHub by the RightScale Professional Services team. Check out our latest plugins:
- Plugin for the Amazon MQ service (AWS)
- Plugin for AWS PrivateLink
- Initial release of Google Container Engine (GKE) plugin
- AWS re:Invent 2017 Recap: Watch our latest on-demand webinar to learn about the key announcements at AWS re:Invent — new features, pricing, and more — and what it all means for your 2018 cloud strategy.
- Comparing Cloud Instance Pricing: AWS vs. Azure vs. Google vs. IBM: Check out this new blog post to see which providers have the lowest-cost options for cloud compute instances and what’s been changing in cloud pricing over the last six to nine months.
- RightScale 2017 State of the Cloud Report: Get the latest data and analysis on current cloud trends to inform your IT strategy for 2018.